Monday, October 20, 2014

The Ever Mysterious "Teek-vah"

Here is a little known fact: I love pumpkins! I love the little, cute ones. I love the big mama ones. I love the ugly, warty ones. And I especially love the ones that are pumpkins! I love how versatile the pumpkin is; you can decorate with it, carve it, smash it, chuck it, and eat it. To me, punkins represent everything that is right with the season of fall. Fall is so cozy! In the fall people come together to do things like carve pumpkins. Humans gather together to cut holes into vegetables, well actually punkins are a fruit, specifically a berry. What is not to love?! As an American I have taken for granted how we celebrate Fall in America. The Russians see fall as the time when everything gets colder and it rains and very few have discovered the exponential power of the pumpkin. 

When I first mentioned to a Russian that I hadn't seen any pumpkins here in Siberia they were very confused. Even the best English speakers in our classes had no clue what I was speaking of! So I set off to figure out the word for pumpkin and if it existed in this geographically secluded location. 
Тыква (which is pronounced [TEEK-VAH]) is the word for pumpkin. Now every time I speak of these amazing vegetab-b-berries I can refer to them in the proper term and tell of all of the glorious foods than can be created by them! 

Aside from pumpkins, our English classes have been going amazingly well. Tomorrow will actually be the last time we get to host the group in our home because it has gotten so large. Yay! Everyone always comes ready to speak and I really feel as if everyone who comes is willing to share something with the group. Each person has something valuable to contribute to the conversation. The English Club on Saturday nights has also been going swimmingly. The same people are coming week after week and we are able to build relationships with them. One couple, Katie and Vanya, are now coming over every Monday to teach us Russian. Score! They are a blessing and I am blown away by how patient they are with us as we giggle through each lesson. I really feel like I am learning! Even if my pronunciation is sometimes really horrible. 

Playing games at English Club
I have come to really love our Saturday night English Club. It takes some serious planning but it always ends up a lot of fun. Also, can I brag on my roommates, business partners, and friends? Alissa and Allie have been so vital to my survival. I am so thankful for who they are. I am so thankful for their perseverance and general cheerfulness. 

Alright y'all. Keep praying for us and all the things. Especially our insomnia. And paper writing. Thanks. Truly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment