Monday, June 23, 2014

Socks and Sandals

Anyone who knows me knows that I will find a way to wear my Chacos anywhere during any season. I will wear them to class, to go shopping, to church, to go on a hike, and just around the house. Since we've been in Russia, I have only worn my tennis shoes once. My feet are in heaven! Russians have no shame about their feet and will even wear socks with sandals. Well, the men will anyways. The women keep to their sky high heels. However, I have plenty of women wearing tiny little socks with their sandals and their heels so I guess my socks and Chacos combo (Sockos) isn't that terrible!

Last week we partook in the loveliest of English camps along the Ob River about an hour and  a half outside
of Tomsk. Including all of the Americans there were 62 people in total. Allie, Alissa and I were not just teaching English at camp, they were teaching us Russian. My personal vocabulary expanded from 5 words to 55 words. I was beyond encouraged by fellow believers who were present at camp as well as the generous students in my class. I got to teach the very basic, beginning, no prior English class. They had so much patience and were an absolute blast to teach. Teaching beginners English requires you to slow everything down and really focus on how you pronounce every single syllable. After camp on Friday I was still speaking slower than a turtle walks but man, was I so understandable! The Russians even told me that I was pretty decent at teaching pronunciation. This is only made possible by my professor, Mr. Sukany, and the Good Lord up in Heaven.

We were greatly blessed at camp with many new friends and cannot wait to start getting settled in here in Tomsk. We have found places to stay for the second half of July, all of August, and will be making our visa run in the very beginning of September. So for the next four weeks we are in a slight limbo and are still praying for a family, or multiple families, to take us in. Please join us in this prayer.

I could never express my gratitude towards all who have helped me get to Russia and the loving Lord who has allowed me to take part in His great work. Thank you for all of your prayers, encouragement, and time. Your love is felt, even if I am living 12 hours in the future!

By the way, Russians know how to make some good grub. Let me take a second to give mad props to the cooks at camp who cooked the meanest porridge and the best lentils I've ever had the pleasure of gobbling down. And the girl we are living with, Ann, she can cook a meal fit for a king. As Jimmy Fallon would say, "It's so great! My man. SO great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment