Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Simply Getting There

Alissa, Me, and Allie
The journey to Russia these past few months has been a long one. There have been mountains of paperwork, reading, writing, and packing. We are a week out from leaving and I couldn't be more excited to step on that plane with Allie and Alissa next Wednesday! These two girls have become a huge part of my life and we are still in the States. I look forward to learning a new language with them and growing in our walk. We have been preparing for these six months for the past three years. I cannot believe that the time has finally come!

Many people have been asking me if I am excited to be heading to Russia and I am still unsure about how to answer. I say yes because I am excited about the opportunity but it is all still so surreal. My suitcases are sitting open in my bedroom and my visa is still on its way via FedEx. This journey began 3 years ago but I feel as if it still has not started. I am trying not to have any expectations about anything and I think this is the biggest reason that I am remaining pretty ambivalent about the whole situation. Father has a plan and it is not reliant upon my feelings and emotions. What happens happens. For now all I can do is follow His will, stockpile everything I will need for the next six months,
and be a good teammate to Allie and Alissa.
Speaking of stockpiles, I'm pretty proud of all that I
have been able to amass these past few days! It may not look like much to some, or too much to others, but after spending my junior year of high school as an exchange student in the Czech Republic, I know that this is the perfect stock of amenities and treats to make it through culture shock and transition.

Our first month in Russia will be all about learning the language and culture. We will be living with Russians and acting as sponges in our new home. If you think about us, lift us up to Dad. Ask that we might become better followers, better listeners, better communicators, and better teammates. Ask that we might be able to remember all that we've learned and serve selflessly. These next six months are about to be crazy and I am so excited for the work that we get to join in while we are there!

No comments:

Post a Comment