Thursday, November 27, 2014

Dwindling Days

We have 15 magical days remaining in our semester abroad and my heart is so full of emotion. I have truly come to appreciate and love the people of Tomsk. I have also come to slightly accept the bitterly cold weather of Siberia and always having to wear leggings under my jeans. Always. In the last week or so we have been spending a plethora of time with our friends. Friends all the time. These friends are why we came to Tomsk and such people are why it is going to be an emotional goodbye.

Spending any amount of time in another country allows you to experience the roller coaster that culture shock and culture struggle. As I reflect over the last 5.5 months there were some definite highs and lows. There were struggles, trials, and lots of snow. However, through it all God was faithful. He was faithful to work out our visa situation and return to Russia in September. He was faithful to continue bringing  people to our classes, English Club, and random get-togethers. The Lord was also constant in uniting Allie, Alissa, and me, as we worked together, lived together, and generally spent every moment together. God has been teaching me so much about communication.

Having a pre-existing timeline placed on your life really affects your communication. Knowing I only have 6 months to say what I need to say in Tomsk has lead me to pray for a lot more boldness in every conversation that I am a part of. Please join me in praying for our last 10 days here and the many conversations and meetings that we will have that will be Christmas themed! Speaking of Christmas: it snows so much here! There is snow everywhere! On the rare days that it is not snowing and the sun is shining it can only mean one thing... -30 temperatures. Yay!

It has been hilarious hearing everyone's response to our disdain towards the bitter cold. Some of our friends poke fun at us and remind us that it is still autumn but others are honest and will sadly admit to us that -30 is really cold. OF COURSE IT IS REALLY COLD!! I know you are Siberian (or live in Siberia) but when you have friends going to the doctor to treat mildly frost bitten cheeks there is a problem. By the way, it is currently -29 C outside. Just let that sink in for a moment. The barely freezing weather of Moscow in 10 days is going to seem like summer!






Enough about weather, let me tell you a story. Last week we went and saw a movie in theatres for the first time here in Tomsk. We joined our friends Emil & Jenny and a few others from English Club for an evening of madness entitled Interstellar. If I am being honest, I understood only a little bit of the movie but it was so good!! Not knowing what was going on almost made it more fun and I laughed more than anyone should at such an intense outer space drama. It also provided plenty to talk about at our English group!

In our English group we have been going through the Old Testament once a week and we just made it to the Ten Commandments. It has been taking some time to get through but I am so thankful it has. Those who stick around for our post-lesson Bible lesson come ready to listen and ask questions. This last week we were discussing the connection between the Ten Commandments (following the law) and Jesus (free grace.) Over and over again I am reminded of words spoken by Jesus to the twelve disciples in Mark. He gently reminded them that sometimes you just have to speak in parables because they do not yet know the Truth. This is truer than ever here in Russia. I am ever thankful that God has given us the ability to be creative in the ways in which we share our lives and faith.

...alright, alright, alright. Thanksgiving just happened here in Russia and we actually had friends to celebrate with. It was my first experience getting to host the meal and my first experience having chicken instead of Turkey. I am thankful that we have made friends who actually want to spend major holidays with us and share their lives with us. My heart is so grateful and content that we are united as the Body of Christ and it is our Saviour that brings us together.

I have written a lot already in this post and I wish I could write so much more. I wish I could tell all of you all about everything that God is doing in Tomsk. I wish I could convince you all to come here and meet my friends. I wish I could start raising support again to come back after graduation. Tomsk is not a perfect place but I can tell you that God's plan for Tomsk is perfect. I pray that someday I can return. (Who ever thought I would say that?!) And I pray that Jesus grabs a hold of every heart in Tomsk and claims this city as a stronghold for the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment